Cold Hands, Warm Heart

My photo
Nome, Alaska, United States
After getting burned out teaching high school in a tiny Alaskan town, I have moved on to being a child advocate in a small Alaskan town. The struggles are similar, but now I can buy milk at the store.

Sunday, February 28, 2010

March Preparation

 Well, my devoted fans, March is quickly approaching. Actually, if you're in Australia, it's already March.  We are currently hunkered down in our house, because it's cold outside.  Here are a couple reasons I'm looking forward to March:

-Equinox. That's right, 12 hours of light again! And after that, it can only get better.

-In the middle of the month, instead of a day to celebrate how alone I am, we get to celebrate my birthday, which is infinitely more awesome. And not just because it has cake.

-No more high school basketball games that require me to make cupcakes, jello or cotton candy, and then sell aforementioned goodies.

-I get to pack up the cheer gear for the year.  I will no longer have to say: "You had better not be eating  blue Mr. Freeze's in my brand new uniforms."

-The 7th graders are I are going to Nome for NACTEC (Northwest Arctic Career and Technical Education Center.) My poor, poor 7th graders who play ball. They're going to be at school on Monday, then in Kotzebue from Tuesday to Sunday, then home Monday, In Nome for NACTEC Tuesday to Friday, home in time for the Junior High Basketball Tournament, which is Friday and Saturday. Then school on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, then spring break Thursday to Sunday. 13-year-olds don't need sleep, right?

-I can spent money again.

-Iditarod. Idita-golfing, Idita-craft, Idata-shopping. Okay, there is no official Idita-shopping. There are a lot of things that start with the I-did-a in front of them.  I think this year, I'll fly in on Friday morning, do everything I want, and come home Saturday night. Since I don't care to watch the basketball tournament, or hang out at the bars for a week, this plan works well for me.

I'd say something about it being warmer in March than February. (Hey, did you notice the thermometer and sun gauge on the side of this blog?) However, it got pretty warm there for a couple days, and now that March is coming, it's getting colder again. My thermometer doesn't seem to think it's as cold as some others'. It's -26 here right now, but that may be because my sensor is next to my house, in the sunlight. I heard that with wind-chill, it was getting down to -40* F in the shade.

No comments:

Post a Comment