Cold Hands, Warm Heart

My photo
Nome, Alaska, United States
After getting burned out teaching high school in a tiny Alaskan town, I have moved on to being a child advocate in a small Alaskan town. The struggles are similar, but now I can buy milk at the store.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Aca Deca

Tonight is the Academic Decathlon district competition. Angie Alston is coaching this year, and has offered me my choice of "speech judge" "interview judge" "essay judge" or "attitude." I told her to put me down for whatever was open when those that cared had picked. I did Speech's last year, and that was sort of fun. It's hard to objectively judge a kid, especially when you helped them write half of the speech. I think I might have judged my own kids too hard, since I expect more out of them.

This year, however, I was put on the interview circuit. I had two of my own kids, Heather and Miizuk, two kids from Stebbins, and two from Savoonga. It was . . . interesting. Some of the kids, especially those who have done this last year, dressed pretty, had sparkling personalities, and had well thought out responses. Some, umm, didn't. But, it's a learning experience.

At the end of the interview (4-6 minutes, or 11. Depending) the student is given a minute to "Share any other thoughts you'd like us to know. Some kids pulled something out, some just smiled and shook their heads. Austin was prepared. While I didn't have the opportunity to interview him, as there were two sets, I did see him go in. It turns out that he told his coach that he was going to spend that minute discussing ice cream. Angie offered him $5 if he could talk for the entire minute. He pulled it off.

Tomorrow is the awards ceremony, so I may get some pictures and post them here.

1 comment:

  1. I would like to publicly announce to the universe that Colleen Marie Deighton is the wind beneath my Academic Decathlon wings. I need her. She helped/helps me in very significant ways. I heart her.

    ReplyDelete