Cold Hands, Warm Heart

My photo
Nome, Alaska, United States
After getting burned out teaching high school in a tiny Alaskan town, I have moved on to being a child advocate in a small Alaskan town. The struggles are similar, but now I can buy milk at the store.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Wind Chill

Yesterday, as I walked into my house at 10pm, I glanced at my indoor/outdoor thermometer. (Thanks Dad!!) It said the inside was a wonderful 70*, which is halfway between where I like to keep the heater (65) and where Amy likes to keep the heater (gates of Hades). I also noticed that the outside temp was -25*F. (I've been told that saying 'degrees Fahrenheit' is redundant. I'm just not sure how.)

That means our poor heater is trying to keep our house a whopping 95 degrees warmer than the surrounding air. Way to go heater!

Luckily for me, there was no wind last night. That's the part that makes it feel so cold your eyeballs want to solidify. I'm not joking here, it's felt like that before.

So today, thanks to NOAA's National Weather Service, here is the official wind-chill chart:

So yesterday, regardless of wind chill, I could get frostbite, if not properly covered up, in less than 30 minutes. I know nothing in this village is more than 30 minutes from my house, or even 15, but that doesn't mean I want to be out in temperatures like this.

Here is something I'd never thought of, but which struck me as interesting: Note: Windchill Temperature is only defined for temperatures at or below 50 degrees F and wind speeds above 3 mph. Bright sunshine may increase the wind chill temperature by 10 to 18 degrees F.

No comments:

Post a Comment