Cold Hands, Warm Heart

My photo
Nome, Alaska, United States
After getting burned out teaching high school in a tiny Alaskan town, I have moved on to being a child advocate in a small Alaskan town. The struggles are similar, but now I can buy milk at the store.

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Methods of Knowing

When I was in college, a fellow student (I'm looking at you Denise Hurlbut) would tape a color-change plastic spoon to the outside of her living room window. The spoon started out purple, but would turn pink when used in ice cream, or left out-side in a Rexburg winter.  You may wonder why someone capable of getting into, and staying in, college would feel the need to tape a spoon to the outside of her window. Well, she needed an indoor/outdoor thermometer, and these spoons were free. She knew to wear a sweatshirt, unless the spoon had changed, then it was time to pull out the coat.

Why do I tell this story, devoted reader? Well, I'll tell you:

There used to be an incinerator toilet in my bathroom. If you'd like to see Steve clean one out, go here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhlYNjV7kh8
Part of this toilet is the ventilation pipe, which leave the toilet, and runs up through the ceiling, taking all the smells/smoke out of the house.  I do not currently have an incinerator toilet in my house, I have a frame with a bucket. I do, however, still have the ventilation hole in my bathroom. Even when it used to have a peanut butter jar duct-taped to it, it still let in enough of the cold. On days like today, I must first leave my warm bed for my tolerable bedroom. Then I must leave my tolerable hallway for the my bathroom. There's ice forming in the bathroom. And that is how I know how much snow gear to wear on a daily basis.

Did you see there, where I made my rambling wrap back around to the first paragraph? Awesome, right?

1 comment:

  1. oh colleen. lol i know i don't comment very often but i do want to say keep on posting i enjoy reading about your experiences up there so much. and this one made me laugh, a lot. so thank you!

    ReplyDelete