Cold Hands, Warm Heart

My photo
Nome, Alaska, United States
After getting burned out teaching high school in a tiny Alaskan town, I have moved on to being a child advocate in a small Alaskan town. The struggles are similar, but now I can buy milk at the store.

Monday, February 1, 2010

Frugal February

DAY 1:
Okay, devoted fans. I have now made it through the first 24 hours of Frugal February. I made sure to eat breakfast to avoid running to the student store during lunch, and I also stayed out of that hallway while it was open.

I will be giving some of my emergency money to Amy, because she's going to Anchorage on Wednesday, for a preschool conference. She's going to bring back jam and backing cocoa. I know, it's not fun or exciting, but that's what I need.

One of my seniors has decided that I will not be able to survive for the 28 days of Financial Freeze February. I invited her to play along, but she declined. Instead, she is going to write down every dollar that she spends for the 28 days, so she can see where her money is going. This should be interesting.

DAY 2:
Went to the dentist. It didn't cost anything, but my insurance may be sending a bill later. This will be paid for out of regular checking account funds, and not my "emergency" money. It would probably wipe my emergency money out anyway.

Spent $9 at the post office today. I mailed a book for Paperback Swap, my dad's birthday present, and a letter to the Department of Revenue, State of Alaska. I had to explain why I was out of the state for 91 days. (See previous posts about senior trip, and Copenhagen.) This cuts into my emergency cash a little, but otherwise, I'm fine.

DAY 3:
I really want cookies. I sort of want Mountain Dew. I am refraining from both. Henry asked if he could eat his sweet-tarts during class if he shared with me. This could be a nice loop-hole to not buying anything. After all, a positive aspect of not spending money is that I can't just buy junk food. This may require more thought.

I went home for lunch, and had a sandwich and an orange. And some of Amy's candy, because she's gone, and she'll never know. Except for the thing where she reads this blog. He He, sorry Amy.

DAY 4:
I accidentally kept my finger on "Shift" while I wrote 4. The "$" came up. Awww. Yesterday I graded papers, made a homemade pizza, and talked to my dad on the phone for 2 hours. No money was spent. I didn't even have the desire. It was nice.

DAY 5:
Basketball games tonight. I always get sucked into buying things. I'm just not going to take any money with me. Besides, there's a different person babysitting the seniors today, and he doesn't know I have a tab, so he probably wouldn't just give me stuff anyway. SCORE.
Recap of basketball games: I went (without paying, which is why I didn't stay). Saw the senior store. Saw the juniors making popcorn, saw the new shirts the activities is putting out, ignored all of it. YEAH FOR ME.  The hardest part about this month-long endeavor happens when I see someone else drinking a Diet Mountain Dew. But, I heave a little sigh and go on with my life. I don't feel like I'm missing out on much. I'm not sure I'd want to do this for much longer than a month, since there are things I like buying, like stained glass supplies, ivory, and snacks, but it's going pretty well so far.

DAY 6:
Today was Saturday, so Frugality was a little easier. I read until 5, slept until noon, and hung around the house playing online today. Then I visited Ken and Lisa, watched a little "Ghost Hunters International" and played with the kids. All in all, a good day. And no money was spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment