Cold Hands, Warm Heart

My photo
Nome, Alaska, United States
After getting burned out teaching high school in a tiny Alaskan town, I have moved on to being a child advocate in a small Alaskan town. The struggles are similar, but now I can buy milk at the store.

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Finance Free February

Some of you may have heard of "No Shave November." It's a college thing, and is often followed by "No Date December." While I've never tried NSN, my camp girls did participate in the "Week Challenge" of not bathing for the entire time at camp. As the adult chaperone, I was sufficiently grossed out.

The point: As you may have noticed by the title of today's post, I will be hosting my own "Finance Free February." This will involve me not spending any money for one month.

Living in Alaska, this is both easier and harder than it sounds, for the following reasons:

Easier:
- I don't have to buy gas to put in anything
-It's not like I'm going to get invited out to eat
-I buy my groceries in bulk, so I'm pretty much set on that front

Harder:
-Art work just wanders over to my house, and it's not going to be available for long
-The Sinnok Snack Shack delivers!
-The seniors sell stuff ALL THE TIME, and it's stuff I like. Such as Dt. Mountain Dew.

Here are the exceptions to Finance Free February:
-The phone bill
-The credit card bill (after all, this is January Spending, not February)
-My Iditarod plane ticket
-Post office fees. After all, Dad's birthday is this month.

And just in case of "emergencies" I have $80 sitting next to my chair.

Addendum: Lisa my neighbor came over last night, and reminded me that I said I wanted to buy girl scout cookies. Let's make that $72 for emergencies.

1 comment: