Cold Hands, Warm Heart

My photo
Nome, Alaska, United States
After getting burned out teaching high school in a tiny Alaskan town, I have moved on to being a child advocate in a small Alaskan town. The struggles are similar, but now I can buy milk at the store.

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Christmas List

As you may have already noticed from this post: Now that I have the ability to put pictures back on the blog, I've gone ahead and put a picture on almost every noun I could find.

I am also fully aware that I am the grownup in the following conversation. I am also aware that this is a reenactment, and not necessarily accurate. We also didn't have these wonderful visual aids like you're about to get.

Act 1
Setting: The gym, during the big Christmas feast.
Enter: Stage left. Colleen, 14-year-old girl 1, 14-year-old girl 2, and 14-year-old boy.

Colleen: Hey guys! Merry Christmas.

Girl 1: (jumping around) Merry Christmas. Did you get anything?

Colleen (Pleased that the girl asked) Yes. My mom got me these combs for my hair.


Girl 1: Santa gave me an iTouch.


Colleen: That's pretty nice. My mom also got me some new glasses. For drinking, not seeing out of.


Boy 1: My stocking had a hundred dollar bills.

At this point in the conversation, I decided not to tell them about what else my mom bought for me (all of which I either asked for, or was pleasantly surprised about:



 




And a traditional Christmas present (because I kill them a lot):



I know what you're thinking,  "But Colleen, you could have asked for and gotten JUST ABOUT ANYTHING." It's true. But I've gotten to the point where I don't need an ipod touch. I also don't need coloring books, sheets, or new wool socks.  Oh, wait. Even my joke list is practical. I'm sorry, I don't know how to ask for frivolous things anymore. It might be that I know everything I have up here will either have to be sold or shipped south in the next 5 years. Or I might just be a little too practical for my own good.

No comments:

Post a Comment