Cold Hands, Warm Heart

My photo
Nome, Alaska, United States
After getting burned out teaching high school in a tiny Alaskan town, I have moved on to being a child advocate in a small Alaskan town. The struggles are similar, but now I can buy milk at the store.

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Butter

Well, my devoted fans. I've made it halfway through this month, and have yet to spend a single dollar. Except for those nine at the post office, and we've already decided that those don't count.

Yesterday I traded three cups of cheerleader jello for a Mountain Dew, but hey, I didn't have to pay for it.

On Saturday, we had a teacher work day. There are a certain number of these we have to have over the course of the year. They're usually tacked onto holidays, giving the kids a longer break. However, we like long breaks too, so we stick them on random Saturdays.

My classroom was trashed, with 2 tables covered with cotton candy mess, one of preschool work, one of random stuff of mine, and the sixth missing, replaced by bags and piles of basketball gear. I decided to not work on my projects in my room. Instead, I invaded Bea Stough's room, and set up shop at one of her tables. We worked all day, chatting occasionally. When I mentioned that Financial Freeze February was halfway over, but that I'd have to break into my emergency money to buy butter, she lit up like a Christmas Tree. It turns out that she had accidentally ordered two cases of butter at the beginning of the year, and was just swimming in the stuff. She went home, and returned with a 12 pack of pop box, filled with boxes of butter. And not just any butter, but BUTTER.  I've always been a margarine girl, because it's cheeper, but now I have real butter to eat.

I can almost hear you thinking I'm nuts. Well, I am. Just wait until the tomatoes come in on Wednesday. I'll be doing a little dance.

Oh, right: bla bla bla Valentines Day, bla bla bla Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment