Cold Hands, Warm Heart

My photo
Nome, Alaska, United States
After getting burned out teaching high school in a tiny Alaskan town, I have moved on to being a child advocate in a small Alaskan town. The struggles are similar, but now I can buy milk at the store.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Upcoming Events



Here's what's coming up in my life:

Wednesday: Assembly from our Elders about healthy summer-time activities. Should run from 3:00 -3:45.

Thursday: Public Health Nurses come back and check my TB test.

So far, so good. It's starting to bruise, which is not normal for me. However, it is completely flat, which is nice.  I also got a shiny holographic band-aid, and a Disney Princess sticker for not crying.

Okay, so the stickers were for the kids. That's not the point. I didn't cry, I get a sticker. That's all there is to it. Angie didn't get a sticker, because she didn't ask, so she went and bugged Steve the principal, and he gave her a couple small ones. She promptly stuck them on her face. For those of you not in the know, Angie is a real, live grown-up. Not a four-year old. I don't think any of the 4-year-olds stuck their stickers on their faces.

Friday: Starting at 1, we will set up the gym for prom. Prom will be held from 9-12, with crowning happening at midnight, and dinner to follow. Spaghetti, french bread, salad, cake w/ice cream. Good times. And because I never wrote about prom last time, and feel guilt, here are some pictures from last year.

Jordan, taking a break from blowing up balloons. See how we wrapped the gym in brick to make it be a castle? Yup, I'm awesome like that.



These are my seniors, dressed up pretty: Jordan (from the photo above) Jesse B, Patrick,  Katherine, Dolly, and Theresa. Also, James Kakoona in the red t-shirt is in there. I don't know why.

When I advised, we did "Night of Romance" and made a castle, the next year was "City of Love" and they made the gym look like Paris.  If I do say so myself, mine was more AWESOME, but that's just my opinion.



King Wesley Pootoogooluk, and Queen Victoria "Sweety" Sinnok. Very nice. 













Saturday: Little kid prom. We're splitting it up this way because the little kids like to spill their drinks, pop the balloons, and tear down the streamers. Drives me nuts. So now the big kids will have prom first, when everything looks pretty, then the little kids can run amok on Saturday, and no one will care.

Monday: Graduation.  Okay, these are not this years' graduates. These are my babies from last year. Katherine, James (oh, maybe that's why he's in my prom picture) Theresa, Roy Amos, and Dolly.

Jackie and Holly came into my room two days ago, wearing their robes, and I will admit that I got a little teary-eyed. I'm going to miss those buggers. It's unfair, really. I spend how many years teaching them to be competent adults, they finally get to the point where you can have an adult conversation with them, and then they leave. 


Wednesday: End of year assembly. I've heard that the perfect attendance kids are getting bikes this year. How awesome is that? I think this is because the group from last year (four kids, maybe five) got iPods, but since there is a large overlap, that doesn't make sense to do again.

Thursday: Last day of school. Locker clean-out, textbooks come home, tables are cleaned and stacked for the summer. It drives my kids nuts, but my morning classes continue to work. They can still turn stuff in, there's no reason to stack everything in the morning and sit on the floor all day. Also, early out.

Friday: Teacher Work Day.  Also, the annual cheerleader slumber party. And they get to help me move. Because, hey, cheap labor.  Let's put a picture of them in, just because they're so dang cute:

Then, less detailed,

1 Week: Unalakleet
2 Weeks: Anchorage with the Guy family.
4 Days: Ferry to B'ham

Hang at home.

Drive to Utah via Idaho. See babies. See pregnant girls. Be depressed about being single.

Drive Home. Sleep a lot.

Drive to Canada, load up camping gear for some kids, and drive to a big NA Pow Wow in Blaine. 

Aug 3: fly to Alaska, help with new teacher orientation (aka Welcome Wagon).
Aug 6: Fly to SHH, finish unpacking.

Holy crap! Where did my summer go?!? 


UPDATE:


This afternoon, I looked at my arm, and was shocked to see my TB test. So I drew a circle around it. And just now (8:00pm) I took a picture of it, just to see how it had grown since the circle. And since I know you are all hanging on my every post, I'm sharing it with you:

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you have alot of fun in Alaska, with great people to create friendships with.

    ReplyDelete