Cold Hands, Warm Heart

My photo
Nome, Alaska, United States
After getting burned out teaching high school in a tiny Alaskan town, I have moved on to being a child advocate in a small Alaskan town. The struggles are similar, but now I can buy milk at the store.

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Tug-of-War

Okay, quick post today.

We had the end of the year assembly today. One of the silly little games we played was Tug-of-war. The k-3 boys fought the k-3 boys. Then the 4-6. Then 7-12. And just to be funny, they put the teachers against the high school boys. There were more of them. But we prevailed. It was our very very heavy brains that helped us out.

Or maybe we're just stronger. I thought I'd get a nice grip, so I wrapped the rope around my arm, and pulled with all my might.

I would like to take a moment to say that this is not a new and pretty rope. It's old, it's scratchy. And it gives one heck of a rope burn.


Steve Alston has one too. When we went to check them out against each other, he told me:

"Does yours hurt to poke? Mine hurts to poke." Turns out I hadn't tried mine yet, but yes, it hurts to poke. 

And this is the news for the day.

UPDATE: My mark is starting to bruise up very nicely. Steve still has his initial mark, but no bruising around it. We both still feel pain when we poke our arms.  But, to beat the high school boys, it was worth it.

1 comment: