Cold Hands, Warm Heart

My photo
Nome, Alaska, United States
After getting burned out teaching high school in a tiny Alaskan town, I have moved on to being a child advocate in a small Alaskan town. The struggles are similar, but now I can buy milk at the store.

Monday, May 17, 2010

Lake

Okay, prom is over, the move is underway, and graduation is tonight. But I have funny things to share.

First off, it snowed last night. And not a sprinkling, either. A good inch and a half. In May. MAY! So hopefully for the last time, I shoveled the front porch this morning.  Okay, it was the new front porch, which isn't nearly as big, but that's where the shovel is.

Then I walked over:
And yes, the lake isn't nearly as big as it was last year, but it's still wide enough that one can't walk from there to here without getting stuck.

I tried to walk over to the school from the new house, but hit the edge of the pond, and went to step up onto the hill next to my house.  And my foot slid down the hill. So I readjusted, and my foot slipped again. So I scrambled quickly, and both feet slipped. Then I stood there looking at the ice slick I'd made with my shoes, and figured: eh, screw it.  So I took them off, scrambled up the hill, and walked to my old house. It turns out that walking through snow is easier if it's on top of regular sand, and not a sheet of ice.

I'm at the school now, safe and sound. Amy followed me over, and hasn't mentioned my bare-foot prints. Maybe she didn't notice?  

It's time to get my room put back together for the week. Four more days with the kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment