Cold Hands, Warm Heart

My photo
Nome, Alaska, United States
After getting burned out teaching high school in a tiny Alaskan town, I have moved on to being a child advocate in a small Alaskan town. The struggles are similar, but now I can buy milk at the store.

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Still Sick

It was suggested that I go to the clinic, because I'm still sick. I know what will happen. They will tell me that I am sick, and to drink plenty of fluids, and get enough sleep. I can handle this on my own without going over there. While I'm in this mindset, this is as good a time as any to explain how the clinic here works:

First, you must make an appointment. Usually not for today. Usually for two to three days away. Sometimes for tomorrow.

When it is your appointment time, wander over to the clinic. If no one is behind the glass window, don't worry, I don't think anyone's assigned to work there.

After hanging out in the waiting room for a while, watching daytime television, you'll be called back to one of the exam rooms. If you're lucky, you'll get a parent-teacher meeting done while waiting. After all, in a town this small, the chances of knowing the other people at the clinic is pretty high.

After making it to the back, the health aide will give you a basic physical. Temperature, blood pressure, etc. Then they sit down with THE BOOK. Now, the book looks an awful lot like the self diagnosis pages of the Mayo Clinic's Family Heath and Medical Guide.  But it's not. It's much more specific. It's, umm, laminated. Yeah, let's go with that. Laminated.

Typical conversation:

Me: I think I have strep. Six kids at school have strep, and I'm susceptible.

Health Aide: Well, you have a fever, so, Any aches, headache, cough or runny nose?

Me: No, just the throat.

HA: Any nausea, vomiting or diarrhea?

Me: No.

Okay, I'll let you figure out the rest.  Eventually, they do the swab, and it turns out that sure enough, I have strep.

Then I get some pills, and get to spend a day at home.  Good times.

Well, devoted readers, that's enough from me for today. Happy spring break, everyone.

2 comments:

  1. Im sorry you are not feeling well. i wish i could come give you a big hug and make you feel better. get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chevak had "the book" too. For each answer they follow the prompts either to the next question or to another page. Anything requiring a prescription or more knowledge than "the book" held, required a phone call to the nearest doctor 100 miles away.

    ReplyDelete