Cold Hands, Warm Heart

My photo
Nome, Alaska, United States
After getting burned out teaching high school in a tiny Alaskan town, I have moved on to being a child advocate in a small Alaskan town. The struggles are similar, but now I can buy milk at the store.

Monday, March 29, 2010

News, news, and more news

After having nothing to post for the last couple weeks, and doing cop-out posts, including pictures of rabbits, I finally have some news to share with the world:

-I recently received two e-mails. I like to read the older ones first, so I did. It was a call for all teachers to sign up for CASC. That's Curriculum and Standards Committee, for those that don't speak BSSD acronyms. (That's Bearing Strait School District, same reason.) I responded that I would love to be involved, and that I would like to work on my own project, and some of what it entailed. I sent the e-mail off. Then I checked the newer e-mail. It turns out they already knew about my plan, and I was already on the list. So now, between May 23rd to the 28th, I'll be staying in Unalakleet, working on improving the BSSD standards, and how teachers relate to them.

-Today, I received two e-mails. In classic fashion, I read the older one first. It was a call for teachers to help out at the BSSD Welcome Wagon. The Welcome Wagon is where the school gets some rooms at the dorms in Anchorage, rents a couple vans, and some of the returning teachers show up, drive the vans, pick up the new teachers, and drive them to exotic places, like Costco, and the 24 hour post-office. To ensure that we have a well-rounded group of staff, it's going to work like this: everyone that wants to puts their name in. Then the guy in charge asks the principals for recommendations.
Having learned my lesson from last time, I read the second e-mail too. Turns out I'm already on the list.  Nice, huh? It does mean that I can't go to Myrtle Beach with Amy and her family. It also means that instead of spending money, I'll be making money. As for my long-term goals, that's really best.

-We are getting new teachers. Two couples and a single. The single is a transfer from Gambell, and the couples are new to the district. One couple, at least, is new to the state. We've been in a little bit of a housing limbo because "maybe we need a bigger house for a family." However, with no families coming in, Amy and I have been given Melinda (formerly Mary)'s house for next year. It has a much better layout, and actual shelves for supplies in the kitchen. Unlike in our current house, where they're in a bedroom. Melinda is taking the seniors on the senior trip the day after graduation, and is then going straight to Wales, where she's teaching next year. We can, therefore, start moving in a week before school is out. This is good, because of the short time I'm going to have between school getting out and CASC starting.

-My classes are not split up by anything. I've got all the grades and all the levels all mushed in together. I've tried to get them mostly with their own levels, but sometimes it just doesn't work. I tried really hard to get Matt (new guy) to not have more than a two level spread, which has left me with a strange assortment. I've built a system, and it works, and we all get things accomplished, but it does lead to some awkwardness in a couple situations. One such awkwardness involves Corey. Poor, poor Corey. Because he's in level 7, he got put in with one super-senior, four seniors, and two juniors. He's in 7th grade. Being in a class of significantly older kids has mellowed him a bit, so that's nice.
The point: poor, picked on Corey went to White Mountain (they have trees, and hills), where he won two awards: Most improved, and Skimyster (ski-master, I'd guess).  He got first in bi-athalon, second in skiing, and received medals for that. Anyway, here he is, with the other winners:



No comments:

Post a Comment