Cold Hands, Warm Heart

My photo
Nome, Alaska, United States
After getting burned out teaching high school in a tiny Alaskan town, I have moved on to being a child advocate in a small Alaskan town. The struggles are similar, but now I can buy milk at the store.

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Blogs I follow

For those of you who don't know, the blogs I like to follow are on the left-hand side of this page. Due to my own inability to remember things, I've got their blog name, post name, and update time all showing. This way, I know which ones I've read. It's also set up to move new ones to the top.

I'd suggest checking some of them out. A couple are daily, and dare I say "professional." The rest are just like you and me. Here is the rundown based on their current position, which will change soon:

Sorority Girl in a Frozen Tundra: This is my roommate Amy. It's her first year up here, so she's a bit better about the new and weird things that happen up here. She is the new preschool teacher, a Delta Zeta, and adorable.

Cake Wrecks: Remember those e-mails we got with the REALLY ugly wedding cakes a couple years ago? Or the "Good Luck, Under Neat That, We Will Miss You" cake?  Jen does. She's created an entire website around professional cakes that have gone horribly wrong. And on Sunday, she does adorable ones.  She loves nerd-things too, which is always a bonus for me.

Lovely Listings: While trying to buy a house near Seattle a couple years ago, Sara came across some truly horrible listings. She decided to share them with the world, and has moved onto a daily blog posting. The listings are now international, and she has a bit of a hang up on plastic lawn chairs. It's good for a laugh. Especially when someone tried to sell a remodeled missile silo for TWO MILLION DOLLARS.

Life as a single professional trying to find joy in the simple things: This is my sister Crystal. She's 27. She's funny. And her blog has a REALLY long name. What's with that Crystal? Also, where is the link to you decorating a cake on Youtube? And did you use a Julia Childs voice?

Darth Logan: Friends little sister, or little sisters' friend. (Small town.) Logan takes turns being funny, truthful, and outright bizarre.  Love you Logan!

Lookin' for Somethin' I Couldn't Find Nowhere Else. . . My BEF (that's Best Enemy Forever) Amanda Pasonen. She's a high school teacher in Golovin. Amanda write about the stress of teaching up here, dealing with narcolepsy, and her puppy-sitting duties.

Jennsylvania: Jen wrote "Bright Lights, Big Ass" "Such a Pretty Fat" and "Pretty in Plaid." She's snarky, irreverent, and I think we'd be friends if we were in the same town. She writes about her adventures, husband, desire for livable housing, and hawking her books.

Moore or Less: Kelly Moore, a buddy from college, writes this blog. She talks about kids, maintaing a household, and the soon-to-be new member of the family. Kelly is funny, and we are friends, even though we're in different cities.

Cowboy Boots and Basketball Shoes: Haley (boots) explores life with her new husband (shoes), her personal trainer (okay, it's a DVD) and her job. Haley sees the funny side of everything, and is a great story-teller.

Alaskan Hughes': I know the Hughes family through church. I haven't actually "met" them, but who ever said that was important. The Hughes family has several children, and enjoys outdoor activities. It's just plain fun to follow their lives.

The View From the North: Ah, the one that started it all. Angie Alston, the social studies teacher here in Shishmaref, and a friend from college, started her blog back in early 2008. She takes wonderful pictures, and tells stories about life up here in this tiny town. She also cooks, and has what can only be described as "madcap adventures." My favorite post involves a bacon tart.

NorthBound River Rat: Anna used to teacher here, then in Elim, and is currently trying to function away from Alaska. I know, right, why? I love Anna's blog when I want to see trees.

Malus domestica: Annajean grew up in the same area I did, went to the same college I did, and then came home and got married (not like me). Annajean is trying to be a "domestic goddess," and reading about her efforts is amusing.

Don't mind me. . .: Sarah and I grew up together, and she's still bumming around the old homestead. I just found her blog a couple days ago, and haven't read through the archive yet.

The Escapades of No Magic Marshall: Remember Haley and Logan? This is one of their brothers. (What, Captain? Too good for a blog?) Marshall only has a half dozen posts so far, (or 3, if we're counting). They've been funny so far, so I'm looking forward to more posts.

Okay devoted followers. If any of those looks like fun, then go follow them too. Also, I thought about making links out of all of their names for you, until I realized that I'm writing about them because they are RIGHT THERE. Wander left and click yourself. You're a big kid, you can do it.

2 comments:

  1. !! a mention!! too cool!! I feel so special! I should really pick back up on that whole blogging thing shouldn't I? I've kind of turned into a workaholic and unfortunately I don't know if that's interesting enough to blog about but...we'll see! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete