Cold Hands, Warm Heart

My photo
Nome, Alaska, United States
After getting burned out teaching high school in a tiny Alaskan town, I have moved on to being a child advocate in a small Alaskan town. The struggles are similar, but now I can buy milk at the store.

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Windows

The sun came up at 6:25 this morning. It will remain up for 17 hours and 10 minutes. And tonight, it will set at 11:35.

My bedroom window faces due East. In the winter, this is not a problem. However, this time of year I've got full sun coming straight in my bedroom in the wee hours of the morning. I also have light coming in until after 12:30 at night. (I don't know when it gets dark, I can't stay up that late anymore.) For all intents and purposes, it's light all the time for me. This makes sleeping hard.

I finally put tin foil up over my bedroom window. I was thinking it looked a bit white-trash, until I realized that from the outside, one would have to look across a dead, rusted out pickup truck to even see it. And then I felt better.

Okay, a disclaimer: This is not my town. For starters, our sun actually goes down, for a couple hours in the summer, but it never gets dark. Also, we are still frozen solid up here.  But this picture gives a pretty good idea of what "sunset" looks like once you go about 20 miles North.

picture of Arctic Ocean Midnight Sun Image

No comments:

Post a Comment