Cold Hands, Warm Heart

My photo
Nome, Alaska, United States
After getting burned out teaching high school in a tiny Alaskan town, I have moved on to being a child advocate in a small Alaskan town. The struggles are similar, but now I can buy milk at the store.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Way too excited

First off, I'd like to remind everyone that there was an "actual" post after that joke about why I was posting. You just have to scroll down.

Ladies and Gentlemen. I have an announcement. No, not that.  No, not that either. Please, just let me finish.  I went to the post office and got my mail today. (No, Amy, that's not the news. I do know how to go to the post office. Just because I don't doesn't mean I forgot.)  My Amazon box came in, and here are the three things I am most excited about:







Part of me feels shame at my joy about these purchases. (Great job fundraising to everyone involved!) I know it's just cheerleading. I know that they are in 4th - 8th grade, and that they fall pretty low on the totem poll of district sports. But you know what? I love those girls. Even when I catch them eating ice cream sandwiches while doing their sit ups. 

Also, I'm excited about having new resources with new cheers, and better exercises. I am fully aware that I was never a big cheerleader supporter during high school. Okay, so I used to take a book to pep assemblies. But I'm starting to appreciate this sport. 

After we move into the new house, the cheer girls and I are going to have a slumber party in the empty house. They're pretty excited. And it turns out: I'm pretty excited too. Sometimes they're nuts. After all, they're struggling with adolescence, and their own identities. But in the long run, they're a pretty decent set of girls. And I'm looking forward to next season.

No comments:

Post a Comment