Cold Hands, Warm Heart

My photo
Nome, Alaska, United States
After getting burned out teaching high school in a tiny Alaskan town, I have moved on to being a child advocate in a small Alaskan town. The struggles are similar, but now I can buy milk at the store.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Trip to Unalakleet

Today I was on what one might call "the milk run" on my way from Shishmaref to Unalakleet. I started out with Janelle and Corey, who were headed to Nome for an Elders/Youth conference.


Janelle, who you may recognize from such posts as "Trip to Copenhagen."


Corey, who I went to Nome with for NACTEC a couple weeks ago. The funniest part of this trip was that those two, who just happened to be on the same plane I was on, assumed I was in charge of them. They didn't go anywhere without checking with me, and also expected me to buy their snacks. Okay, we all know I'm a push-over, and would have bought them anyway.

On our way to Nome, we stopped off at Teller to pick up another C&I member for my trip, and four more kids for the conference. Teller sticks out into this lagoon, and on the other side is Brevig Mission. They're 8 miles apart. 

What we're looking at here is that big chunk of open water near Brevig Mission. We don't have any open water, and they already have this big chunk. Down here in Unalakleet, they also have big swatches of open water, and you can see the ice actually floating around on it.

This is just a shot of how close we were to the mountains. Since we were bouncing between small villages, we didn't get up very high.

White Mountain Airport. And yes, those are TREES!!!! We were pretty excited when we saw them.

I couldn't help it, I saw a whole forest of trees, and took pictures of those too.

This is the open water outside of Unalakleet. And the village is down there, somewhere. Considering I took all of these pictures with my laptop, using PhotoBooth, I'm pretty impressed with the results.

1 comment:

  1. I hope that I don't have to do the milk run. I'll take the 3 hour layover in Nome instead, please!

    ReplyDelete