Cold Hands, Warm Heart

My photo
Nome, Alaska, United States
After getting burned out teaching high school in a tiny Alaskan town, I have moved on to being a child advocate in a small Alaskan town. The struggles are similar, but now I can buy milk at the store.

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Diversions

I know some of you, devoted fans, are wondering what I do with all my time. I thought I'd give you a run-down of my last 24 hours. Not all of my 24 hour blocks of time are this fun, or full, but it is a good representation of where my hours go:

4-4:30pm Special Ed Meeting
Video Conference about cheerleading, which did not apply to me
4:30-5pm Went home, ate a pear, put away fruit that came in from Whole Circle Farms
5-6:30pm Cheer practice. It usually goes to 7, but I got frustrated by them, and ended it early. And yes, that cheerleader to the left is in fact eating an ice cream sandwich at the same time she's doing her sit-ups. I'm just glad she didn't choke on it. The picture on the left is parts of my squad from last year. I just realized, while putting this together, that I didn't have any so far this year. I'll see if I can fix that soon.
6:30-7pm Cleaned my room, gossiped with my neighbors.
7-8:30pm Open House for the school. Talked to parents. Watched Tobacco prevention movie. Again. Played with babies.
8:30-9pm Made salad with Amy. Ate salad. It was FABULOUS.
9pm Received phone call from 5 year old next door. It was an invitation to a party.
9-10:30pm Birthday party next door. Not a giant affair, just the family and 4 guests. Ate cake, played with babies.
10:30-11:30 Watched Alias with Amy. Play jewel something or other on my DS.
11:30-12:30 Read a book I will not admit to. (hint: there is a normal girl, and a vampire boy)
12:30-7:30a Dead to the world.
7:30 am Accidentally hit "off" instead of "snooze" on my alarm clock.
8:25 Woken by roommate. Have a freak out moment.
8:30 Clock in at school (I'm glad I live so close), take some ribbing from the maintenance men, who could pretty easily guess what happened.  
8:30-8:45 Get classroom read for the day.
8:45-12:30 Educate the minds of tomorrow's leaders.
12:30-1pm Planned the senior meeting with Melinda, played with the baby, (he comes for lunch too) and practice the secret girl handshake with some freshmen, who don't realize I'm not "cool" enough to know it. 
1-2pm Theoretically, this is my prep. But I have some independent seniors in here, and we spent an hour looking through catalogs for carnival prizes. 
2-3:45 Mentor young minds to reach new heights.
3:45 Kick kids out. Wonder where the first six weeks of school went. Check out paperbackswap.com, read the comics, and take a breather before the cheerleaders show up.

There are nights, of course, where we don't have open houses. Then, cheer practice goes until 7, and I go home and veg, or work on my masters class, or visit Steve and Angie, or host Ladies Craft Night, or any other of 50 things. Like the stained glass project I've got going, below:

1 comment:

  1. Are you planning on stealing a baby? I just kept getting that vibe as you tried to talk about cheerleaders and meetings.
    Good luck if you are!

    ReplyDelete