Cold Hands, Warm Heart

My photo
Nome, Alaska, United States
After getting burned out teaching high school in a tiny Alaskan town, I have moved on to being a child advocate in a small Alaskan town. The struggles are similar, but now I can buy milk at the store.

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Voting

Today, during my prep period, I grabbed the two girls I have in here, and went on an impromptu field trip.  I know, you're wondering why I have students during my prep. They're independently  taking a college course that starts halfway through the hour, so they hang out, then get their laptops and follow along. I'm so proud of them. 
Back to the point: Only one of my girls was 18 yet. The other is still 17, but we didn't want to leave her. When we got there, I showed the 17 year old how to sign in, and I let her go in my little booth with me and mark my ballots. I have a memory of my dad showing me how to do this when I was a little kid.

Side story: Once, when I was home from college, my parents loaded all the grown-ups into the van, and we all five went down and voted. They were pretty excited to see us.

While Holly, the 18 year old, finished filling out her registration, I chatted with the ladies, and in the end, we all got 

Now that we're back in class, Heather is doing work for her college class. She read out loud: "From the top of the mountain, Derek was able to take a breathtaking. . ." and then stopped. So I said, as I do, "panoramic" figuring she was just stuck on the big word. She looked at me in shock. 
"Exactly" she said, "how did you know?!" Turns out she's doing her Greek and Latin prefixes. Whoops.

No comments:

Post a Comment