Cold Hands, Warm Heart

My photo
Nome, Alaska, United States
After getting burned out teaching high school in a tiny Alaskan town, I have moved on to being a child advocate in a small Alaskan town. The struggles are similar, but now I can buy milk at the store.

Friday, September 11, 2009

9/11

Today, in honor of 9/11, and because it was supposed to be an early out day, my writing classes got a break from journal time. We were supposed to be practicing using the four types of introductions. Instead, we chose, colored, cut, and taped up patriotic drawing onto our lockers. 

I received an e-mail yesterday, reminding me to hang a flag outside my house today. Then I remembered that I don't have a flag, unless I steal the one out of my classroom, which just doesn't seem right. So, I decided to make my students help me show patriotism here in the building.



This is Jack Pootoogooluk. (That's one of my dad's favorite last names.) He's coloring the flag that says "Red White Blue" on the bottom. Jesse Dubbs (short for "W," short for "Weyiouanna") is finishing Call of the Wild, so he can be with the rest of the class when we start up again on Monday.



This is the first one I made. I was trying to put mountains, and crops, and trade centers in it, but it turned out pretty crappy. Maybe, if I do it again, I'll just stick to the lines that are already there. Also, I don't have a locker to put pictures on, so mine had to be on my door.


Here is Miizuk Nayokpuk. He's pretending to hang up one of the pictures, for the sake of the photo. For the most part, these kids tried to make these nice. There is one, somewhere, where the Statue of Liberty has a face like the Joker from Batman, but otherwise, they're very nice.



Here are some more that the kids made, and posted.  I tried to explain the purpose of leaving some white space around the edges, to give it a clean look. I guess I never mentioned how much tape to use. 


On another topic: Did you know that if you are set to "Edit Html" it is very hard to write between pictures, because I can't tell where one ends, and the next one begins.  Yeah for "Compose."



3 comments:

  1. I like the pictures. It looks like the kids did a great job. I was in 6th grade on the 11th and realized that those kids were only three when it happened. It doesn't seem that long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i miss your classroom! and your little reading corner and the soft bed thing i'd lay on all the time. =]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, Jack looks so old! I still have him in my head as a baby face seventh grader!

    ReplyDelete