Cold Hands, Warm Heart

My photo
Nome, Alaska, United States
After getting burned out teaching high school in a tiny Alaskan town, I have moved on to being a child advocate in a small Alaskan town. The struggles are similar, but now I can buy milk at the store.

Friday, March 27, 2009

Union Negotiations

In an attempt to protect the innocent, no names or actual numbers will be used. I'll just tell some stories.

It all started last year, sitting on the couch at the district office, going to the yearly union meeting. It was time for new officers. In an attempt to be friendly, my new buddy nominated me for secretary, and then promptly slapped his hand over his own name-tag, in an effort to keep himself from receiving the same honor. I have since learned his name:  James the Wrestling Coach from Shaktoolik.  This is how we keep track of people. 

Since I did such a fabulous job being the secretary, I was nominated for the bargaining committee. Is it a great honor? No idea. I got to go grocery shopping, so that's a bonus, but I had to leave my kids for two days a week before state testing, so that's negative. I think I was useful. 

We started out asking for a lot, and they started out offering a little, and after 7 hours of negotiating, we reached a consensus.  7 hours is the shortest time I've ever heard of. We had two and a half days planned, with two more next month in case we couldn't agree this time.  Everyone says it was amazing how quickly we agreed on everything.

In the end, rent went up a little, and paychecks went up a lot, and we'll all have enough money next year to put gas in everything that needs gas. Way to go us.

Sorry this is so short, ladies and gentlemen, but I have no clever pictures for 10 people sitting at a table, and no one wants the blow by blow. I could give it to you, I took notes, but I won't bore you with it now.

1 comment:

  1. If you want a really good recipe for those horrible/yummy mint cookies, I have one and it is sooooo good.

    ReplyDelete