Cold Hands, Warm Heart

My photo
Nome, Alaska, United States
After getting burned out teaching high school in a tiny Alaskan town, I have moved on to being a child advocate in a small Alaskan town. The struggles are similar, but now I can buy milk at the store.

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Recess, at 20 below

Recess at 20 below is actually a book. Which, by the way, I've never read. Also, when it really is twenty below zero, we have recess inside. We actually have recess inside from Mid-October to the beginning of May. 

We do have playground equipment. It looks something like this. There's a slide or two, and some ramps, a climbing thing, etc. When it was put in, because there was no solid land to put it on, the guys putting it up had to sink all the uprights into 5 gallon buckets of cement. These were then buried, and the rest of the playground was built up around it. 


Last summer, when we came back from break, it because obvious that a lot of sand had blown away from the playground, and some more was brought in from somewhere else (where? I don't know, the whole island is sand, it's not hard to find) and piled up to make the toys safer. There was no longer a big gap between the bottom step and the ground. 

This toy is still fun to play with in the winter-time, to a certain point. In March, when the snow comes, it becomes difficult to walk on any of the ramps, or use any of the slides. Simply because we can't find them under all the snow.




2 comments:

  1. Hey!

    I'm a french guy and I'm looking about American people! I just find you in Blogger with your interest Nintendo! (Yeah I love my Wii and my Nintendo DS!!!)
    So, if you want to talk me with to sharing some things, you can! ;) And I saw in your profil that you are teacher? What king of pupils you have?

    And your pictures between without snow and with snow is amazing! It still snowing in your state?

    See you soon! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!

    Yeah, I'm sorry my blog is in French but you'll be aren't interested I think for what I writing... I wrote about my little life: my life style, my musics, and my tv shows! (Like the lastest message on my blog about The L Word).

    Your oceans are frozen?!!!! Oh my god! I want to see that!
    You teach in a high school or in a college?

    See you soon for a new message on your blog about your frozen ocean!!! (Yeah I love that!!! :D)

    ReplyDelete