Cold Hands, Warm Heart

My photo
Nome, Alaska, United States
After getting burned out teaching high school in a tiny Alaskan town, I have moved on to being a child advocate in a small Alaskan town. The struggles are similar, but now I can buy milk at the store.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Utah Trip

I would, at this time, like to hand out a couple of awards from my Utah trip. I'm sorry I have no pictures, but it would have been hard to explain to the girl behind the counter just why I wanted her picture, after being frustrated with her for five minutes.

Best Gas Station:  The Kicks 66 Superstore in Pocatello, Idaho. Not only did they have the cheapest gas at that exit, but the bathroom was clean, the employees were nice, and the cashier herself chipped in 4 cents so I wouldn't have to walk out of there with 96 cents in my pocket. I hate carrying around 96 cents.

Worst Drive Through: Sorry Layton, but this award goes to you. The Burger King by the freeway not only has a gross excuse for "chicken" but the cashier was incapable of understanding why, for a bill of $6.15, I would hand her a $10 bill, a $1 bill, and a quarter.  She tried to give m the dollar and quarter back. I explained that I'd rather have a $5 and a dime, and she just looked at me like I was nuts. So I told her to put it in the register, and sure enough, it said I should get $5.10 back.  My math skills amazed her.

Best Waitress: Conversely, my best restaurant experience was also in Layton. At the Sizzler over by the mall-thing. Not only was the ordered food good, but the salad bar was well stocked, and our waitress ROCKED!! I cannot, at this point, remember her name. So we'll call her Tiffany (because that might have been it.) Not only did she bring us juice in a sippy cup for Colleen's kid, but she calmly dealt with the morons across the way who wanted her to bring them things from the salad bar. Umm, it's a salad bar. By definition, one should go get their own little soup cup of ranch dressing. She joked with us, cleaned up after our messes (not mine so much as the 3 year olds), and is using this job to pay for college. I can respect that.

Most Confusing Restaurant: Okay Chuck Wagon in Idaho Falls, would you please explain to me why you have cookies with the rolls, deserts, and cold foot table? They all looked like the same kind of cookies to me. Do people care about the heat of their cookies enough that putting them in three different temperature ranges keeps mobs from forming? I just don't get it. Also, to the boy cutting the meat: You don't get paid more if you have meat left at the end of the night.
On the plus side: Thanks to our server, who kept the Mountain Dew coming.

Best accommodations: Yours, of course. How could you ever think I'd give this award to someone else.

Cutest Ultrasound: This great honor has to go one Mrs. Heather Deighton.  I've seen ultrasounds before, and while I can see what I'm supposed to, I never understood all the gushing. Then I saw Heather's. Oh, now I understand. That is one good looking kid, and her fingers are precious.  I felt bad for the  man watching with us who couldn't see anything. Especially since the tech did a FANTASTIC job of finding and labeling things.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great trip! If I'd have known you were in Utah (probably at the same time as me) I would have tried to set up a blind date for you and my brother in law. Everytime I read your blog I think you'd make a good match.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone who watched Heather's ultrasound in real time, I have to say I thought the tech did an outstanding job, also. She explained everythign and marked it on the video. I was impressed.
    Terry Deighton, Grandmother of those precious little fingers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome post, you crack me up. It sounds like you had a wonderful trip! (I miss Utah!) Are you going to come over and play games!!!? Hope so cause I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete