Cold Hands, Warm Heart

My photo
Nome, Alaska, United States
After getting burned out teaching high school in a tiny Alaskan town, I have moved on to being a child advocate in a small Alaskan town. The struggles are similar, but now I can buy milk at the store.

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Dark

I'm not sure when it started to happen. It was so gradual, and so sneaky I never noticed. Yet here I am, sitting in them middle of it, completely confused about how it happened.

No, I'm not talking about the dishes that need to be done, or the exercise I need to start up again. I am fully aware of how those things happened. I'm talking about the dark.

Amy and I are sitting here at 11:45 on a Sunday night, thinking about going to bed, and it is DARK outside. Not just "sunset" but really dark. Like night-time. This is a bit depressing for me. I bet it'll still be dark until 7 or 8 tomorrow morning!

I understand how seasons work. I understand that we are experiencing 6.66 minutes of change every day in the light. That doesn't mean I like it. It also doesn't mean I was paying attention. (I did notice the amount of time we change every day, don't think THAT little piece of information slipped past me.)

Now, it's not like I want to be out running around at midnight. I actually like it dark in my room while I'm sleeping. The dark also encourages the kids to go to bed on time. It's just that with the dark coming earlier and earlier, it means that hibernation time is fast approaching. And I don't like hibernation time.

For those not in the know, hibernation time is just what it sounds like. It's hard to get out of bed, hard to be motivated, and hard to care about anything except crawling back into bed.

Logically, I am also aware of the fact that I currently have more light that Washington, Utah, and Myrtle Beach. For three more weeks. On September 21st, we will all be equal. And the day after that, they will have more light than I do until late March. So for everyone that I gloated over when I had light, and you had been in the dark for hours already (Dad, I'm looking at you here) I'd like to apologize. Sorry for gloating. And please send pictures of the sun, I'm going to miss that guy.



On a completely unrelated note, and for those following the hair saga:

We found a piece that somehow missed the dye. Underneath the purple, this is the color of my hair. The purple will eventually fade. That blonde is just going to have to grow out. Or be dyed again:

2 comments:

  1. You can hibernate after the best holiday of the year. Halloween. HAHAHHAA

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always think about how cool it would be to live in Alaska, but then I think about the dark and I quickly change my mind.

    ReplyDelete