Cold Hands, Warm Heart

My photo
Nome, Alaska, United States
After getting burned out teaching high school in a tiny Alaskan town, I have moved on to being a child advocate in a small Alaskan town. The struggles are similar, but now I can buy milk at the store.

Monday, August 23, 2010

Hair

For her birthday, I bought my little sister a box of hair dye. Not auburn, or dark blonde, but "I'm mad at my parents" blue, green, and red. We never got around to dying anything, because she wasn't sure how well the Pumpkin Patch (aka Home Depot) would take the colors.

While in Anchorage, I decided that I wanted fun color too. After all, I'm an adult. I can do whatever I want with my hair. So I bought:
And it sat on my bathroom counter. While at Unalakleet for inservice, I ran into Ann-Marie, who, for her 30th birthday present gave herself new hair. Literally. She had it dyed black, then had blue and green extensions attached. It looked really good, and I decided to stop waiting around.

Last night, after Amy left, Kiley and I got together for a little hair dying. She was just doing blond highlights, so we put the cap on her and did the little pull through thing. It worked just like it was supposed to.

My hair started out like this:


And then we bleached stripes in it. I would have taken a picture of that, but my laptop was at the school, and my camera has no memory card. (On that note: Amy, have you seen the memory card for my camera?)

Then we dyed the stripes purple. And when I washed it out, I had light pink stripes. So we dyed it again, and wrapped my head in saran wrap. And at 1, I went to bed. 

This morning, I woke up, fully expecting my clear plastic wrap to be off, and my pillow purple (I took the case off, to protect it). I was pleasantly surprised to find it still on, and even happier when I took a shower, and the dye stuck.

So, with no further ado:




And it's not too crazy. And I really like it.  I'm a little concerned when the purple dye starts to wear off, and the trailer park blond streaks start showing up again. I may have to re-dye around Christmas.

2 comments:

  1. I like it! I expected it to look REALLY wild, but it just added a good dose of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg colleen! =) looks cool haha

    ReplyDelete