Cold Hands, Warm Heart

My photo
Nome, Alaska, United States
After getting burned out teaching high school in a tiny Alaskan town, I have moved on to being a child advocate in a small Alaskan town. The struggles are similar, but now I can buy milk at the store.

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Swimming in the Bearing Sea

This title is slightly misleading. First off, it wasn't the Bearing Sea, it was the Chuckche sea, which is part of it. Really, all the water touches anyway. 
This is me on the right, Amy Cellar, the new roommate, leading the way, and Timothy, the science teachers son. Timothy thought he'd like to come too. He even put on his swim trunks. However, when we arrived at the water, he chickened out. I find that I'm okay with this, since his parents didn't know he was with us. He's just really hard to stop.


Amy has already gone in, fallen into a wave, and called it good. I'm still slowly working my way out into the water. And if you'll notice the color of the water, you'll see that it was not a warm and sunny day. However, we were afraid it would just get colder, so we took the plunge when we had the chance. 
I finally got out far enough. I waited for the wave, and jumped into it. I swam two strokes, hit the gravel bottom, and headed for shore. 

Here we are! Brave and satisfied teachers. You'll notice how our students think we're nuts. We gathered a bit of a crowd of kids wh came to see what we were up to. You may notice that my legs are a little purple. They're not normally that color. 

We've been called brave, and we've been called crazy. I don't know about that either way. What I'd like to do right now is get all this sand out of my hair.


3 comments:

  1. I'm gonna call you crazy! But looks like you had fun anyways and that's all that really counts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your style. Nothing like a cool dip in the ocean to grow a little hair on your chest...

    ReplyDelete
  3. So you brought a swimsuit all the way to Shishmaref for one swim?

    ReplyDelete