Cold Hands, Warm Heart

My photo
Nome, Alaska, United States
After getting burned out teaching high school in a tiny Alaskan town, I have moved on to being a child advocate in a small Alaskan town. The struggles are similar, but now I can buy milk at the store.

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Excuses, excuses

Devoted fans, 
  I had big plans, now that I am home, to show you pictures from the end of the year that I never got around to doing. However, they won't upload. Not from photoshop, iphoto, flickr, or just by taking screen shots. Sorry.

Instead, I will tell you a couple funny things from Welcome wagon.

-My going away party ended at 12:15 in the morning, I had to be on the airport shuttle at 2:30, and on the plane at 6 am. When I got to Anchorage at 8:30, I was handed a set of keys, and turned loose with some brand new teachers. Poor brand new teachers.

-We used the tourist map just fine all day, but guess what? The tourist map has no reason to show our dorms. We ended up in a parking lot, calling the guides from the day before. Turns out we could see the road from where we were sitting. 

-Just because the post office is open 24 hours, that doesn't really mean they want to see you there then.  Actually, the post office employees were very supportive and helpful. 

-The heaviest the post office will let you ship is 70 lbs. Our heaviest box was 69 lbs, 14 oz.  That's right, we rock.

-Some people are very particular on whether they shop at Costco or Sams Club. Very, very particular.

-There is some unwritten rule about dorm life. It doesn't matter how tired I am at 8pm, I can't go to bed until at the earliest 1 am. There are just too many fun things to do.

-Checking over one's plane reservations will save a lot of wasted time and embarrassment at the airport. At least I was a day early, and not a day late. 

However, everything worked out, and I'm home. Sleeping in my own bed is a glorious thing.  I am also in sole control of the remote, and have yet to wait in line for the computer or the bathroom. On the other hand, there are no granola bars here, and I have to wash all the dishes.  
New teacher training started today, in Unalakleet, so I'm assuming that's where the new roommate is. We have high hopes for her. My first official day of work starts the 17th. We haven't made up a student schedule for the year yet, I don't think, so I'm pretty sure I know what we'll be doing with our time.

Also, just a heads up for everyone: I don't know when Angie is coming back, please stop asking.

No comments:

Post a Comment