Cold Hands, Warm Heart

My photo
Nome, Alaska, United States
After getting burned out teaching high school in a tiny Alaskan town, I have moved on to being a child advocate in a small Alaskan town. The struggles are similar, but now I can buy milk at the store.

Friday, August 28, 2009

College Bound Reading List

In an attempt to work my way through the college bound reading list I was given back in '98, I sat down to read Call of the Wild, which I will be going through with my kids soon. 

For those that don't know, the whole book is told through the point of view of a dog. One who is half St. Bernard, and half Shepherd. For my own edification, I looked up some pictures online, and thought I would share them with you:


St Bernard. AKA Beethoven. Known for their size, strength, and ability to survive in the great and frozen North.


Shepard: Known for their herding and sense of smell. Note the long hair. Also good for the North.


This dog is supposidly  a half-breed between the two. I'm going to guess that Buck from the story had longer hair. 

If you haven't read the book, I would suggest that you give it a shot. The copy we're reading is only 75 pages, and cost us a dollar a copy. 

I am now a fifth of the way through the college bound reading list. Of course, I could go faster if I would stop re-reading old favorites, and snatching up anything by mph and osc.

Happy reading to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment