Cold Hands, Warm Heart

My photo
Nome, Alaska, United States
After getting burned out teaching high school in a tiny Alaskan town, I have moved on to being a child advocate in a small Alaskan town. The struggles are similar, but now I can buy milk at the store.

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Growing up

Dear Reader, as you can tell, I am a big fan of making lists. With that in mind, here is a top ten list for you.  So, with no further ado, The Top Ten Ways Being A Grownup Doesn't Live up to the Hype:

1. Can't call mom and dad to bail me out when I screw up.
2. Have to make my own doctors appointments, and then go.
3. Sure, I can go to bed when I want, but I have to get myself up too.
4. I can no longer use the phrase "I'm just a kid" to get out of trouble.
5. I can buy anything I want, but actually have to deal with the bills.
6. Paying for insurance.
7. Getting a rebate on taxes is nice. Paying taxes is not.
8. No one will take care of my when I'm sick.
9. Now that I'm old enough to cook anything I want for dinner, I know better than to just eat brownies.
10. I get paid sick days, but it takes more work to be sick than to just go to work.

So there they are. If anyone has anything else they'd like to add to the list, throw them in comments, and if they're awesome, I'll add them to the blog.
10.

3 comments:

  1. When a young child or kid does something stupid or annoying, you have to be the "mature" one about it and let it go.
    I hate that

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that you hit it on the dot with all of those. It makes you grow up fast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someone still "owns you", it just turns out to be a bank, rather than someone who loves you and is willing to make exceptions.

    ReplyDelete