Cold Hands, Warm Heart

My photo
Nome, Alaska, United States
After getting burned out teaching high school in a tiny Alaskan town, I have moved on to being a child advocate in a small Alaskan town. The struggles are similar, but now I can buy milk at the store.

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Some rules, some thoughts.


My sister once came home with rules given to her by her bishop (I think, that part's not important) in the yearly chastity talk given to Young Single Adult wards of The Church. She was told that there were rules about being with boys, and they went like this:

Three things to look for:
-Alone
-After midnight
-No plan

While on a date with a boy, only one of these things should be happening at a time. It's when a boy and girl are alone after midnight that problems occur. Or alone with no plan. Or. . . you get the idea.

I found this to be an interesting piece of information, and and decided on a rule for my own life: No e-mails after midnight. Things that seem like a REALLY BIG DEAL at one in the morning are not nearly such a big deal by the light of day. This is why I sometimes write an e-mail, and hold off on sending it until after sleep. 

This may be why college was such a drama-fest. We did most of our plotting, planning, and gossiping after midnight. I deconstruction of a date at eight in the morning isn't nearly as satisfying as looking for signs of true love at 2 am.

With this small rule at the forefront of my mind, I'm going to write this post right now anyway.

Officially, it's daytime. Actually, it's quarter after 7. But to truly understand the level of crazy I'm coming from, here's my sleep schedule for the last couple days:

Friday: Worked at the school until 2 a.m. Went to sleep at 5 a.m. Slept until 4 p.m. Got up and went back to the school.
Saturday: In a failed attempt to stay up all day to restart my regular sleep schedule, I didn't go to bed until noon, and only slept until 5. Got up with the plan to go to bed again at midnight.  At 6:30, I got a call from the popo, as he needed a babysitter at the jail.
Sunday: Haven't slept yet. And with the exception of one bathroom break, I haven't left this room.

While it is "morning," I'm still working on the five hours of sleep I got yesterday. My job is to write, and your job is to excuse anything dumb I say as the rantings of a very, very tired girl. (Case in point: why didn't I think to pack the string-cheese from the house when I agreed to come over here?!)

The year 2010:
-Favorite places:
     Sedro-Woolley, Wa
     Blue Fox Drive In
     Provo, Utah
     The Guy House, Anchorage
     Anchorage Temple
     My pickup truck

-Least Favorite Places:
     The Canadian border
     The school kitchen at 2 in the morning
     Most airplanes

-Favorite things:
     Mountain Dew (but really, when is that not a favorite thing?)
     Seeing friends and family
     Tribal Journeys
     Watching some of my favorite kids graduate, get married, have kids, go off to school, and succeed in life. I sure love my babies.

The year 2011:
-I think we're going to have a lot of people freak out about the Mayan calendar. To those people I would like to mention a couple things: Y2K, Swine Flu, Avatar. It's always a lot more hype than anything else.
-Things I'm looking forward to:
     Getting paid for this little stint as a member of Shishmaref's Finest.
     Going on the senior trip with "ma boyze"
     Seeing Kendall for the first time!!
-I would like to eat more fruit in the upcoming year.

2 comments:

  1. looks like 2010, was a busy year for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always remember "A back rub in the front room leads to a front rub in the back room."
    Nate's institute teacher told his class this.

    ReplyDelete