Cold Hands, Warm Heart

My photo
Nome, Alaska, United States
After getting burned out teaching high school in a tiny Alaskan town, I have moved on to being a child advocate in a small Alaskan town. The struggles are similar, but now I can buy milk at the store.

Thursday, May 7, 2009

View From the North

For those of you in the know, you'll realize today's post name is actually the name of a blog of another teacher up here.
While reading my comments to a previous post, I realized that most of you are unaware of just how close most of the places I go are to each other.  Standing on the front porch of my school, because I took these pictures during break, here is the view of most of my world:
That's my house on the left, the puddle in the middle, and Ken the science teacher's house on the right. Last night, a large piece of equipment came through and made our three foot deep trench go away. I was really excited about it, even if it got a little too close to my house. I can now walk to and from my house without trudging through four feet of snow, or a foot of water on top of ice.  If you've noticed the pole by the side of my house, be aware that that was completely covered with snow a two weeks ago.

Looking to the left of my house, you see the tracks made by the tractor, and also the building our phone lines all connect through.

Traveling farther to the left, you see my closest neighbor on that side, followed by a couple more neighbors, the school's truck, and that bright spot way off in the distance: The still frozen ocean.


Off to the right of my house is Ken's house. Behind him is some storage, and on the other side of a small road from that is the city water tank (blue) and to the left of the tank the city building (green). In the city building is the post office, police station, city council rooms, Shishmaref Dog Mushers Association, Pull Tabs, and another Pull Tabs place. Behind them is the SES, Shishmaref Emergency Services, because they need a warehouse for their equipment.  No, we do not have a red firetruck.

2 comments:

  1. I love it. And we thought Sedro was a small community.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My word! Do you ever get sick of all that snow? We had a longer winter here in Montana, but at least it melted finally... :) I love reading about your adventures in the FAR NORTH!

    ReplyDelete