Cold Hands, Warm Heart

My photo
Nome, Alaska, United States
After getting burned out teaching high school in a tiny Alaskan town, I have moved on to being a child advocate in a small Alaskan town. The struggles are similar, but now I can buy milk at the store.

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Dad's Heart Attack

Everything is fine now.

On Sunday morning, Dad had a massive heart attack. The paramedics responded with amazing speed, and he was quickly rushed to Skagit Valley Hospital. He had two angioplasties, and a breathing tube, and was put into a medically induced coma until he was able to breathe on his own.

Last night, I was able to talk to him for the first time since he woke up. He's doing fine, and is in good spirits. He's messing with the nurses and making jokes.

My mom told me to stay in Alaska, and to not skip out on work to come home. I obeyed, and when I talked to my father, he said the same thing. I have 5 more weeks here in Akiachak, and then I get to go home and hang out with my dad.

Let the countdown begin.

2 comments:

  1. Im glad that he is doing better. My mom had said that he has an attack. Let him know that we have been thinking and praying for him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just to be accurate, I don't think it was considered a medically induced coma. He was heavily sedated for two days to let his heart heal. I think it's a matter of how far under they put a person. They could rouse him when needed by adjusting the medicine and put him deeper asleep the same way. It was hard to wait to find out the extent of the damage. It helped him when they let him wake up to know his kids were so concerned and keeping tabs on him.

    ReplyDelete